In preparing your home for concrete paving on your driveway or the pathways surrounding your property, there is some simple pre-planning you can do to ensure you get exactly the look and layout that you want.
Here are 7 things you can do to be better prepared before we start laying your concrete paving.
1. Calculate the Area
Work out the size of the area you want your concrete paving in. Measure the length and the width of the area and multiply them together to get the approximate square metre amount. Back to some maths basics: area in m2 = length x width.
2. Retaining Walls
Before you lay your concrete paving, it is ideal to have all retaining walls installed around the area to be paved, to ensure that your new paving is supported properly. Panorama Concrete will do small retaining walls of up to 30cm high for you.
3. Do You Have a Pergola or Veranda?
Do you have a pergola, veranda or a deck in the yard or are you planning to erect one? You will need to decide whether you want this structure to be free standing on top of the paving or permanently embedded in the paving.
4. Do You Have A Watering System?
If your garden has a watering system and you need to make allowances for existing pipes or you need new ones installed under the paving, this needs to be ready before the concrete is poured.
5. Water Outlets and Drainage
Where are your current water outlets and do you need to reposition any for convenience in your yard? Your concrete can be sloped slightly to allow storm water to run off on to a garden bed or you may need a drain to collect more substantial amounts of water. The team at Panorama Concrete can advise on the best options for water drainage.
6. Preparing for Concrete Paving When You Have A Sloping Block
There are certain considerations to be taken into account when you have a sloping block.
- Driveways – if you have a driveway area with a 1 in 4 slope you will want to choose a style of paving with more grip than if the area is flat. An Exposed Aggregate or a Pattern Pave that has more texture would be safer to walk on and create more grip
- Pathways – if your pathways are on sloping ground, then you may want to allow a bit of extra budget for one or two steps, depending on the slope. A ramp may work in some situations but you will need to consider slippery conditions in winter
We can apply a sealing product which contains an abrasive agent to go over slate styles to prevent slipping. However, this is usually not a permanent solution as the abrasive agent eventually wears away. Resealing using the same product sometimes compounds the problem and too much sealer can become slippery in itself. If you have a sloping area, we will advise you on the best way to lay concrete for longevity and safety.
7. Choosing the Concrete Style that is Perfect for your Home
Panorama Concrete Adelaide have several options for you to choose from. You can mix and match styles and colours for creative solutions to create something unique for your home. Here are some ideas combining both decorative concrete paving with aggregate concrete for inspiration:
- Handcrafted saw-cut decorative paving in patios with exposed aggregate driveways in the same base colour
- Slate concrete paving with exposed aggregate pathways in the same base colour
- Exposed aggregate or coloured concrete paving with tile inserts
- Coloured concrete with brick edge borders
A money saving tip: Save money without compromising on the finished look with a plain or coloured concrete laid in perimeter paths matched in with the patterned or exposed aggregate paving styles in driveways or patios.
Sealing Your Concrete After It Has Been Laid
We recommend concrete is sealed after installation and we include an application of sealer in all our projects. The sealer helps prevent lasting stains in concrete from oil, grease or wine which can become absorbed into porous concrete that does not have a sealer. The sealer will give your concrete a fresher look and is smoother to sweep clean in patio areas or carports.
Panorama can look after all site preparation including the installation of storm water pipes if required.
Call the team at Panorama Concrete Adelaide today for an obligation free chat on (08) 8297 9611 about your concrete paving needs or visit our showroom at 1 Maple Street, Forestville, for inspiration and ideas!